Winter Energy Saving Tips for Your Home
The last thing anyone wants to do is spend more money than they have to—and your heating bill doesn’t have to be any different. At Arctic Air Conditioning, we have some great winter energy saving tips that can help you cut costs and save money throughout the season.
Learn more about how you can save energy this winter by calling Arctic Air Conditioning at 732-455-9110!
Our Winter Energy Saving Tips
Reduce your heating costs without sacrificing comfort in your home by using these six tips:
- Install a programmable thermostat – You can save up to 10 percent on your annual heating bill by simply turning the temperature down on your thermostat 10 degrees for eight hours throughout the day. With the help of a programmable thermostat, you can schedule automatic temperature changes throughout the day so you don’t waste money heating the house when you’re not there to enjoy it—such as while away at work or school, and even overnight while you’re asleep.
- Schedule seasonal maintenance – Another great way to save on heating bills is to schedule annual maintenance before the first cold front hits. This gives a trained professional the chance to inspect your system, clean it out, and ensure optimal performance. You can even invest in a heating service contract to ensure you’ll get seasonal maintenance and discounts on repairs to boot.
- Upgrade your heating system – Did you know modern furnaces can achieve efficiency ratings as high as 98.5 percent (see some of our super-efficient Lennox furnaces)? Unfortunately, older furnaces tend to range in efficiency from 56 – 70 percent AFUE. That’s why upgrading your furnace is an excellent way to save on heating bills—in fact, if you upgrade from 56 to 90 percent efficiency, you can save up to 40 percent per year on your annual heating bill. Not to mention, you can prevent 1.5 tons of carbon monoxide emissions!
- Stop air leaks – If you don’t plug up air leaks in your home, it’s the same as letting dollar bills float out the window. In fact, your windows can account for as much as 25 percent of your utility bill due to heat loss. Install weatherstripping for all your doors and windows to help prevent air escaping and save on heating bills.
- Control the light – Both turning off the lights and closing the curtains help. Most conventional curtains can reduce heat loss by up to 10 percent if they’re closed at night, and you can increase your savings up to 25 percent if you seal the curtains to the wall with magnetic tape or Velcro around the edges.
- Control water use – Another super simple way to save energy is by conserving water. How? Taking shorter showers is one way! It’s also recommended to only use the washing machine and dishwasher for full loads.
Schedule Furnace Service Today
If you’re looking to save energy this winter, call Arctic Air Conditioning. We can provide exceptional furnace maintenance in Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer, or Ocean County, NJ—or we can install a brand new system for even more energy savings! Contact us today to learn more.