Why Is My AC Noisy?
A broken air conditioner is the last thing any homeowner wants to deal with in the middle of summer, especially here in central New Jersey—where it can get brutally hot! So don’t ignore warning signs that indicate your system may be having problems.
A strange noise is one such sign. Have you been noticing weird noises coming from your AC? While some are completely normal, it can be difficult to distinguish the normal sounds from the ones that indicate a problem. If your air conditioner is making loud noises, call Arctic Air Conditioning at 732-455-9110 or contact us online—or keep reading to learn more!
Why Is My Air Conditioner So Loud?
This is a fair question—especially since there are some sounds you should never ignore. While occasional chirping noises are fine (they are one of the few noises you don’t need to worry about), other noises could be indicative of an issue that requires repair or replacement. Different types of noises can mean different things.
Consulting HVAC professionals is the best course of action, but here is a quick guide:
- Clicking – if your system is making a clicking sound, you should call us immediately! Often, clicking sounds mean that there is an issue with your air conditioner’s electrical system—which can be dangerous if not addressed.
- Buzzing – this can also indicate an electrical component problem—either with the contactor relay switch, condenser fan motor, or loose wiring. Call us right away if you hear buzzing (almost like a vibrating electric toothbrush).
- Squealing – generally, a squealing AC is having problems with the fan belt, and it’s not going to stop until it’s fixed.
- Hissing or bubbling – hissing sounds can mean that your refrigerant is leaking out of your system. You need to call for repairs right away if this is the case because your system can’t operate properly without it.
- Clanking, banging, or rattling – there are a lot of reasons why your AC could be rattling, and they range in severity. Many times, a rattling noise can indicate that your air conditioner is starting to wear down and parts are becoming loose. However, the source of the rattling could also be twigs, leaves, or toys that have gotten into your system.
AC Repair & Replacement in NJ
If your air conditioner is making any loud noises, it’s best to err on the side of caution—better safe than sorry. You don’t want your system to break down in the middle of the sweltering heat! Since 1977, Arctic Air Conditioning has been helping homeowners throughout Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer, and Ocean counties with their cooling needs.
Contact us today for air conditioning repair or replacement!