When Should I Replace My Furnace?
Is your furnace on the blink again? It’s tempting to put off replacement because of the high expense, but knowing when to replace your unit could prevent you from wasting money on repairs. Here are six signs it may be time for a furnace replacement.
- Old age: If your furnace has served you well for the past 12 to 15 years, it has just about reached its maximum lifespan. Heating equipment can’t last forever, and old age could mean it’s time to say good-bye.
- Frequent repairs: Looking back to the last season or two, consider how many times you’ve had the furnace repaired. If you’re tired of paying money to keep your aging system alive, a furnace replacement is certainly a viable option. A new furnace will run more reliably so you can trust it to get you through the coldest New Jersey winters with fewer service calls.
- Repair expense: If you’re presented with a particularly expensive repair, you may be even more inclined to call it quits. As a general rule, if a repair cost approaches 50% of what you originally paid for the furnace, it’s probably time to retire it for good.
- Energy bills: Examine the last five years of energy bills. If January, February and March’s energy bills have gotten higher and higher each year, rising costs could be largely due to inefficient performance from your aging furnace. New, ENERGY STAR® qualified furnaces can save you 15 percent on your heating bills compared to conventional furnaces. And if the system you’re replacing is more than 10 years old, the savings could be even higher.
- Comfort problems: Improper equipment operation is often to blame for home comfort issues, which include noticeable temperature differences from room to room and humidity problems. A new, more advanced system can keep rooms at a much more consistent temperature and humidity level.
- Loud noises: Odd sounds coming from your furnace could be more than just annoying; they could also indicate your furnace is on its last leg.
Heating Replacement in Edison, Old Bridge & Surrounding Areas in Central Jersey
Right now—while your furnace is still functional—is the best time to shop for a replacement furnace. Then, if discomfort becomes a big issue or the furnace breaks down, you have a replacement already in mind.
Now that you know when to replace furnace, start shopping for potential replacements from Arctic Air Conditioning. We can provide expert advice and perform professional installation when the time comes—contact us today!