Why Indoor Air Quality Is Important & How You Can Improve Yours
Do you think that staying indoors protects you from air pollution? Think again – the EPA has declared that indoor air is typically two to five times more polluted than outdoor air. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), cleaning chemicals, pet dander, dust mites, viruses, bacteria, mold, and many other pollutants originate inside the walls of your home.
Find out why this matters and what you can do about it. After all, indoor air quality (IAQ) is something that affects you every single day!
Why Is Indoor Air Quality Important?
- You inhale 15,000 quarts of air each day: You wouldn’t drink polluted water, but you may not think twice about indoor air pollution. However, because you inhale so much air every day, breathing in pollutants could certainly impact your health over time.
- Allergies and asthma are linked to poor air quality: Inhaling polluted air is sure to aggravate your allergies. In fact, children exposed to poor indoor air quality are more likely to develop asthma or severe allergies as they get older.
- Homes are built more tightly than ever: Homes without air leaks are more energy efficient, but they also trap pollutants indoors, resulting in frighteningly high air pollution levels. You can only combat this side effect of a tightly built home if you employ tactics to improve indoor air quality.
Ways to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- Upgrade your air filter: Basic filters only trap the largest fibers and pet hair. A more efficient filter with superior pollutant-trapping abilities leaves cleaner indoor air behind.
- Install an air purification system: For air cleaning power equal to that of a hospital, install an air purification system that works in tandem with your HVAC equipment.
- Run a humidifier in the winter: By adding the right amount of water vapor to dry winter air, a whole-house humidifier can reduce the proliferation of bacteria and viruses.
- Neutralize pollutants with UV germicidal lights: UV lights destroy biological contaminants passing through the ductwork – including bacteria, viruses, and mold – for cleaner, healthier air.
Improve the Air Quality in Your Central New Jersey Home
At Arctic Air Conditioning, one of our top priorities is to help our customers breathe easy with better indoor air quality. As such, we install efficient air filters, air purification systems, humidifiers, and UV lights. If you’re interested in any of these systems for your Central New Jersey home, contact us today to learn more! We serve customers in Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer, Ocean, and Somerset counties.